Saved by the Barbell is an annual Labor Day weekend fundraiser workout hosted by the CrossFit Foundation and taking place at participating CrossFit affiliates around the world. All ages and abilities welcome!
Proceeds from the workout support the creation, development, and growth of CrossFit programs for kids in schools, recreation centers, and communities the world over. Your efforts will fund training for teachers, put new equipment in schools, and support the health and fitness of thousands of kids.
Date: Saturday, August 31, 2019
Time: Heats run from 8-10am
• Includes a t-shirt and access to the Saved by the Barbell Leaderboard
Raffle tickets/Silent Auction day of event. Many of our teen athletes have commented on how old and unsafe the equipment is in weight room at the highschool. We know not all students can come into BICF, so we want to help make the weight room at the school as safe as possible. Proceeds from our raffle will go directly to this local cause. If you prefer to use a credit card and want to donate directly, you can do so via the following link: https://crossfitfoundation.givingfuel.com/crossfit-foundation
Select "Bainbridge Island High School Fund" from the "select fund" drop-down menu when making your donation. Checks can be made out to "CrossFit Foundation" and turned into us at anytime. Our plan is to continue to raise funds until all of the equipment has been upgraded!
3 rounds for max reps of:
1 minute of burpees
1 minute of wall-ball shots
1 minute of deadlifts
1 minute of med-ball sit-ups
1 minute of hang power cleans
Rest 1 minute
Men: 20-lb. ball, 115-lb. deadlifts and cleans
Women: 14-lb. ball, 75-lb. deadlifts and cleans
***All movements and weights can be scaled and/or modified***
2020 CrossFit Open & BICF Intramural
October 10 - November 11
The 2020 CrossFit Open along with the 3nd annual BICF intramural are coming soon! Everyone should play and you will be randomly assigned to one of three teams. Anyone who will be at least 14 years old by February 21, can officially register for the CrossFit Open by going to Games.CrossFit.com but that is NOT a requirement to participate in the free BICF intramural. Anyone who is currently enrolled in our CrossFit teen program, or is an adult member of the gym, is encouraged to participate on a team. Just add your name to the whiteboard and you will be randomly drafted to a team on “Draft Day” 9/20.
Any of our team captains (Renee Q, Holly M or Aaron S) can recruit as well if you’re on the fence. Remember...nobody cares if you are new or can't do a pull-up, and don't worry if you won't be here for all of the workouts, you will still be able to help your team. The whole goal is to bring our community closer, and odds are, you will achieve things you previously thought impossible.
The Open workouts will be announced live on CrossFit.com every Thursday night @5pm beginning 10/10-11/7. The Open WOD that is announced will be our gym WOD on Friday (and the teen WOD on Monday). Therefore, if you come to any class on Friday, or teens on Monday, you will be doing the Open WOD. Coaches will explain each WOD and there will be various scaling options as well. Every Friday night beginning 10/11 at 5:45pm, we will also host “Friday Night Lights” so friends and family can come cheer us on! Even if you usually don’t attend our evening classes, you’ll want to start on Fridays during the Open (teens too). We encourage everyone to bring some food/drinks to share and come give it your all or at least show up to cheer on your teammates!
The scoring system for the Intramural will be as follows:
1. Teams are given 2 points for every athlete who completes and submits a scorecard for each Open workout (there will be 5 total)
2. Teams are given 1 point for each athlete who finishes among the top 3 women or top 3 men in the gym per workout (coaches scores do not count)
3. Teams are given 1 point per athlete who participates or comes in to cheer on teammates during "Friday Night Lights"
4. Teams will receive 1 point per every “first” that an athlete achieves during the Open (first pull-up, double under, 20” box jump, etc)
5. At the conclusion of the Open, one team will be awarded "Spirit of the Open" (as voted by the coaching staff) and be awarded an additional 10 points
6. The team with the most points at the end of the 5 week Open will get their name added to the BICF intramural gym plaque and have a year's worth of bragging rights:)
Still on the fence? Here are a few more reasons to just DO IT!
1. You will share great moments with people whom you workout with every day, people whom you care for or who inspire you. You also have no idea who is inspired BY you! Working hard and struggling together is a bonding experience.
2. Benchmarking your fitness begins now! Trust us that you will look back at this time next year and be so proud of how much you have developed over the year.
3. All of the workouts are scalable. Chose workouts you want to do Rx (as prescribed) or chose a scaled version. You will learn a lot and push yourself. The only way to grow and improve is to challenge yourself!
4. You will be so very proud of yourself for stepping outside of your comfort zone.
5. This is FUN!!