First annual BICF Intramural Open
We’ve been talking a lot about our first annual 2018 Intramural Open, and those of you who have registered online for the CrossFit Open have already been randomly assigned to one of four teams. If you have not yet registered, and are at least 14 years old, you will see your name listed on the whiteboard at the gym as “eligible to draft”. Any of our team captains (Aaron, Kathy, Maggie or Sarah) can recruit you and add you to their roster. Remember...nobody cares if you are new or can't do a pull-up. The whole goal is to bring our community closer, and odds are, you will achieve things you previously thought impossible.
Don't worry if you won't be here for all of the workouts, you will still be able to help your team. The Open workouts will be announced live on CrossFit.com every Thursday night @5pm beginning 2/22-3/22. The Open WOD that is announced will also be our programmed gym WOD on Friday. Therefore, if you come to any class on Friday you will be doing the Open WOD so you may as well register! Coaches will explain each WOD and there will be various scaling options as well. Every Friday night beginning 2/23 we will also host “Friday Night Lights” so friends and family can come cheer us on! Even if you usually don’t attend our evening class, you’ll want to start coming on Fridays during the Open. We encourage everyone to bring some food/drinks to share and come give it your all, or at least show up to cheer on your teammates!
The scoring system for the Intramural will be as follows:
1. Teams are given 1 point for every athlete who completes and logs a score for each Open workout (there will be 5 total)
2. Teams are given 3 points for each athlete who finishes among the top 3 women or top 3 men in the gym per workout
3. Teams are given 1 point per athlete who participates or comes in to cheer on teammates during "Friday Night Lights" (every Friday night @6:30pm from 2/23-3/23)
4. Teams will receive 1 point per every “first” that an athlete achieves during the Open (first pull-up, double under, 20” box jump, etc)
5. At the conclusion of the Open, one team will be awarded "Spirit of the Open" (as voted by the coaching staff) and be awarded an additional 10 points
6. The team with the most points at the end of the 5 week Open will get their name/picture posted in the gym, be awarded with limited edition t-shirts, and have a year's worth of bragging rights:)
Still on the fence? Here are a few more reasons to JUST DO IT!
1. You will share great moments with people you workout with every day, people whom you care for and who inspire you. You also have no idea who is inspired BY you! Working hard and struggling together is a bonding experience and makes us all better athletes and humans.
2. Benchmarking your fitness begins now! Trust us that you will enjoy looking back at this time next year to see all you have accomplished.
3. All of the workouts are scaleable. Chose workouts you want to do Rx (as prescribed) or chose a scaled version. You will learn a lot and push yourself. The only way to grow and improve is to challenge yourself!
4. You will be so very proud of yourself for stepping outside of your comfort zone. It's a great feeling!